It’s everywhere and everyone has it. No way to escape from it: body hair is all over us! It’s a natural defense for our bodies, and it has other functions. The hair in our skin provides tactile sensory input and allows us to detect movement by vibrations. It also acts as a defensive barrier against microorganisms and diseases. But some of us are endowed with more sensory defensive barriers than we really want. Men are most affected by this as shaving and waxing can be painful in areas like back and chest. Thankfully, technology today allows us to diminish and, even, permanently remove body hair. Today, we share with you information on how laser hair reduction works.
Laser hair reduction: how it works
Using a non-invasive light, that penetrates your skin, the growth structure of an individual hair is destroyed so that it doesn’t grow back. This light penetrates down to layer where melanin resides, in the hair root. Melanin is our skin pigment, and it absorbs the light. This has a photo-thermal effect that ends up damaging the area around it, including the hair root.
Usually, hair loss is experienced after two weeks and the hair that seems to be growing is actually pushing out. New hair will appear after a period of 3-6 weeks, although not as densely as before. Between treatments, the hair that grows should be shaved, not waxed or tweezed, as the new hair needs to be actively growing for the subsequent laser treatment to have an effect.
Things to keep in mind before this procedure
- Consult with your physician before starting any laser treatments.
- A consultation is required to review your medical history and administer a patch test to determine the laser effect on your skin.
- Hair should be shaved prior to the day of treatment.
- Sun exposure, tanning bed or spray tan to the treatment area is not recommended, two weeks before treatment.
- Accutane and Ruacutane acne drugs should be stopped 6 months before the treatment. Retinols & retinoids should be stopped at least three days before the treatment.
Beautify and get rid of that annoying hair in your legs, bikini area, back, arms, etc. Visit us for a consultation or contact us for more information: 303.366.3222 or email us at email@example.com. Read more about ways in which you can have a better skin and more advice on taking care of your skin in winter.